You know that excited feeling you get before your first "real date" with you new snookums? Well, I get that feeling when I'm about to take Savasana. Yep, I'm weird. Or maybe, I'm enlightened. Let's hope it's the latter.
Either way here are my top five tips for dropping into bliss and having the bestest savasana ever:
1. Don't know what to do with your feet? No need to stress, this isn't dancing with the stars and I'm not going to try to teach you the fox trot! Relax...ahhhhh...Alright, now just take your feet about as wide as the mat and let them roll out naturally. Here is a tip: Your toes will point out to the sides.
2. Lift your buns and lengthen your tailbone away from your lower back and towards your heels. This is not just for those sporting a badonkadonk, but J. Lo if you're reading this, listen up, because this one is for you girl!
This amazing little adjustment will eliminate any "crunchy" feeling in the lower back. The term "crunchy" is only cute when it's used to describe peanut butter...(and even then it's questionable), try to keep your savasana "crunch-free!"
3. Pickup your shoulders and move them down away from your ears. Use the "stickiness" of your sticky mat to hold your shoulders down. Much like a fly caught on some sticky fly paper your shoulders will be stuck down there away from your ears and no longer able to bother you. Brilliant! (Don't get your panties in a bunch over the flypaper analogy, no flys were hurt in the making of this blog post and bunched panties do not a comfortable savasana make.)
4. Place your hands with your palms facing up about 5-8 inches from your body. The only exception to this rule is if you are right next to someone. Touchingthem. Touching. sweaty. hand. touchingyou. What you've just encountered here is the recipe for a potentially awkward savasana. You could bravely leave your hand there. Or for a less awkward savasana and more relaxing experience place your hands on your chest, belly or pretty much anywhere you won't meet with someone elses clammy fingers.
5. Relax the skin between your eyebrows. Most of us have jam-packed lives that have us running around feeling like red bull fueled spider monkeys, but it's time to make sweet savasana! Power down the noggin and smooth the eyebrow wrinkle. The big boss wrinkle that looks like the number 11 between your two eyebrows. Imagine the teacher has her thumbs on each of your eyebrows and is pulling them away from one another gently. Aaaahhhh. Feels better already, right?
Now drift away to your happy place. It's okay if your "happy place" consists of Johnny Depp bringing you cupcakes for lunch while your boss keeps you cool by fanning you with a palm frond. I won't judge you. Nobody will. That's why savasana is so freakin' awesome! Not to mention I've rested better in those five blissful minutes than a full eight hours on my fancy-pants-egyptian cotton sheets!!!